Unlock the secrets of Spain’s greatest master with this definitive art history study & gallery guide.
Step into the shadows of the Spanish Golden Age and discover the enigmatic mythological world of Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez (1599–1660).
Beyond his court portraits lies a haunting realm of ancient gods, hidden philosophies, and psychological depth. Journey deep into the Prado Museum in Madrid, where his most captivating masterpieces hide secrets that have mystified viewers for centuries. This book strips away dense academic jargon to provide a clear roadmap through the master’s revolutionary approach to classical storytelling.
Crafted specifically for art history students, painters, and Baroque enthusiasts, this book functions as an invaluable technical manual and study guide. It dissects Velázquez's legendary craftsmanship, offering a close-up look at his figurative drawing, precise chiaroscuro lighting, and brilliant brushwork. Every chapter provides a meticulous visual breakdown of iconic works, decoding the compositions and hidden meanings behind The Feast of Bacchus, Vulcan's Forge, A Sybil, Mars, Aesop, Menippus, The Spinners, and Mercury and Argus.
Complete with a historical overview of 17th-century Spanish mythological painting, this volume connects ordinary Spanish life directly to antiquity. It unlocks hidden visual puzzles and technical secrets, making it an indispensable resource for the classroom, studio, or gallery floor.
Masterpieces explored in this study / gallery guide:
- The Feast of Bacchus – Decoding the raw, human realism mixed with divine myth.
- Vulcan's Forge – Examining the dramatic tension and psychological depth.
- A Sybil – Uncovering the mystery and identity behind the enigmatic portrait.
- Mars – Analyzing the unconventional, melancholic portrayal of the god of war.
- Aesop & Menippus – Studying the gritty philosophy of the ancient world's outcasts.
- The Spinners and the Fable of Arachné – Untangling the complex layers of myth within myth.
- Mercury and Argus – Discovering the atmospheric mastery of Velázquez's final mythological work.
Transform your appreciation from casual viewing to profound expertise. Grab your study and gallery guide today.
* ENGLISH LANGUAGE ONLY
* PAPERBACK - BOOK SIZE 8.5 X 11" (LARGE TYPE)
* 82 PAGES / FULL COLOUR HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTOS
* AVAILABLE ON AMAZON WORLDWIDE
REVIEWS
"What a wonderful read, absolutely captivating and so much information written in a fabulously simple style. I just could not put the book down and feel the need to read it again.
I love facts and history and really enjoy learning. Honestly, I found the whole life and adventures of Velázquez extremely interesting. What a fascinating man and such a wonderful artist.
I love Karla's detailed explanations, the meanings of the paintings and her interpretations.
I also love her first person style. For example, when talking about St Bartholomew in Michelangelo's Last Judgement (1612, Sistine Chapel), she says: "If I look closely at the rectangular stone in the lower left corner of Velázquez's painting, a face appears." This makes the book very special, as if I were there looking at the painting and thinking about whose face it is. It's fun to speculate too.
Honestly, I loved this book. It is so beautifully written and full of information that I really feel like I know and understand Velázquez and his paintings now!"
- D. Santiago - Jávea
I love facts and history and really enjoy learning. Honestly, I found the whole life and adventures of Velázquez extremely interesting. What a fascinating man and such a wonderful artist.
I love Karla's detailed explanations, the meanings of the paintings and her interpretations.
I also love her first person style. For example, when talking about St Bartholomew in Michelangelo's Last Judgement (1612, Sistine Chapel), she says: "If I look closely at the rectangular stone in the lower left corner of Velázquez's painting, a face appears." This makes the book very special, as if I were there looking at the painting and thinking about whose face it is. It's fun to speculate too.
Honestly, I loved this book. It is so beautifully written and full of information that I really feel like I know and understand Velázquez and his paintings now!"
- D. Santiago - Jávea
"Love that you go deeper than just a description of the paintings. Very comprehensive."
- Marilyn - Valencia

